An immersion blender is great for this sort of pureed soup to minimize the number of dirty pots.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
- 3 TBS unsalted butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 4 oz crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup light cream or half-and-half
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
Purée cauliflower mixture with immersion blender and return to a simmer. (Alternatively, transfer to a blender or food processor in two batches.) Add cheese, cream, pepper, and salt and cook over low heat, whisking, until cheese is melted and soup is smooth, about 1 minute.
Lower fat milk and cream can be used as desired.